My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.janiceolivia.com/?page_id=31
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, October 11, 2008

cool runnings.

Today I went for a run/jog ( I don't think I could classify my "run" as a true run. I guess it's more like a jog. ) at the state park. It is a beautiful day today. I had to get out 
There is a beautiful trail that borders the lake...complete with trees and wildlife. It's about 4 1/2 miles to the end and back. 


As I thought about going running this morning, I was really excited to get out and enjoy this beautiful day.
As I continued getting ready, getting on my running shoes    (asics gel nimbus 9. they're awesome!) I was still anticipating my great run that would make me feel so accomplished and refreshed.

As I began to drive to the park, I started getting a little less excited about the run.  I thought about the length of the trail and my energy started decreasing a little bit.

I got to the park and started to get out of my car with thoughts of..."well, maybe I don't want to run today. " or "Maybe I'll go shopping or eat instead."
Then I ruled those out, thinking about how I really would enjoy the run...if not during I know in the end.

So I began the long-awaited run.
.6 miles passes by...not too bad. I'm enjoying  the scenery, listening to a great sermon from Brother Keith...
Then the 1.2 mile marker passes by....and the run gets a little less enjoyable. Now I actually have to press...I'm actually having to put effort in it not to stop. And just imagine once I get to the end of the trail I have to turn around and do it all over again?   Ok. I can't think about these things. I just have to press on. 
What helps me? I think about the sense of accomplishment I will have at the end. I think about the beautiful journey I get to take in as I run. What  a joy that is set before me to help me accomplish this run. I make it to the 2.2 mile mark, where the trail ends and I turn around to go another 2.2 miles to my car. 

I'm convinced that what I'm going through right now...the feeling of tiredness, the urge to quit and begin walking very    s l o w l y ...is worth going through when I get to the prize (a big drink of water) at the end. 

So I endure hardness....and the run gets more and more enjoyable the closer I get to the prize. 

Is it still hard?
 You bet. 

But I'm convinced that what I have endured is worth the prize at the end. So that encourages me.  I get a little more energy . And at the very last half mile, as I am listening to Andy Squyres "Oh Magnify" song, I push myself the hardest, knowing I am so close to the end! 

And at the end of the run, I get a huge drink of water, and thank the Lord for helping me. 

This made me think about life with God...as most things do, since God is such a big part...no, let me correct myself...He is our life. (Deuteronomy 30:19)


Hebrews 12:1-2 says it best. 

1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.



Just like when you start to persevere in life...and you're not as excited as you once were when you began...GET EXCITED! It is well worth the race...every step of it. Lay aside every weight, thought or discouragement... For the JOY that is set before us.


run on.
Jesus did it. Just do it! 



love.
j

1 comment:

Christine.loves... said...

I love you, Jen and your blogs are always so great.

"Don't you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. I discipline my body like an athlete, traning it to do what it should..." [1 Corinthians 9:24-27 NLT]